Life, Running, & Medicine.
Notes on life as I see it.

Monday, January 7, 2008

Monday Bloody Monday

I think I've just about had it:  Yet another knock-youR-socks off busy weekend.  I burned through 1/2 a tank of gas this weekend driving back and forth to the hospital for the emergency du jour...
 
Friday night we were lit up all at once by 1) little man with tracheal stenosis whom an outside MD gave a shot of steroid to and told him to find the nearest ER and "tell them you need to see an ENT tonight" and 2) little old lady that had very minor procedure but got an MI from anesthesia, then got put on blood thinners, then almost died when she started coughing up too much blood.  Oh yeah, and 3) the HIV+ man with that had orbital cellulitis (serious eye infection) that couldn't find anyone to watch his kids so he refused to be admitted to the hospital. Is that noble?
 
The little old lady got better in the ICU, except the heart attack part.  The little man got an awake tracheostomy Saturday.  Another kid across town then got his neck drained of the worst abscess / soft tissue infection I've ever seen in a "healthy" person.  Saturday night brought the usual crowd of mandible fractures and knife fights.  Sunday morning saw me running out of one OR to drive across town to wrap up the hemorrhaging trach site from the day before...
 
To cap it all off, in true Dirty South style, I drive in at 2am today to see a woman who swore she had some "chicken grissle" stuck in her throat from her collard greens dinner that night.  Lucky me she was the very "gaggy" type and she vomited the minute I tried to look in her mouth.  No grissle after all.
 
My new research will be: why is is that some people gag the minute your finger or a tongue blade hits their tongue but they still can eat food just fine?  I mean if it really is physiologic shouldn't the food gag them too........
 
Somewhere in between the mayhem I put in a 5K on the hospital treadmill Sunday and 5 1/2miler today on trails with the Forerunner.  The trails I ran are about 50% tree covered and the watch seemed to do VERY well.  I noticed my pace jumping around a bit as it did some averaging but the overall distance measured was the same as google maps.
 
Hopefully you guys are having a better go at it...
 
 

No comments: