Life, Running, & Medicine.
Notes on life as I see it.

Friday, November 2, 2007

Foot Pain Blues

Halloween morning I went off to enjoy a long 10 mile run.  Note this is coming on the heels of my pretty tough 5 mile run the morning before.  Immediately I had a pain in my right lateral foot (on or about the 5th metatarsal).  The pain was a dull ache that pounded with each step.  It got worse and worse and at 0.9 miles I quit running.  I walked back to the house.

What frustration!  It is a terrible feeling being hopeless and hurt.  My 10 mile race is coming up - supposedly my mental springboard for a marathon next year.  Now I've got an injury to nurse.

I don't think its a fracture - no tenderness I can find and no swelling. Just pain in the general region of that bone, especially when I supinate my ankle and give it a little more pressure.  Probably some tendon or joint space in there inflamed.

The plan is to chill on jogging until the race next weekend.  I will work on the eliptical machine this weekend to keep strength up.  I probably won't get a chance to run during the week as my new rotation has begun at work and it is insanely busy (some 30 hours just thursday and friday alone).


Stay posted.

No comments: