Life, Running, & Medicine.
Notes on life as I see it.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Tough Monday

I broke away from the hospital tonight before 7pm (what a break!).  My wife was working on some project with coworkers late so I took the opportunity to go for a little run.  It's been raining off and on all day so the grounds were wet.  Being well after dark I wore my flashing light clip-on and kept the iPod turned down low.
 
I started at a pace I felt was fast - maybe 8 minutes by the feel.  I managed to keep up what FELT like a very hot pace for me.  I checked the Nike+ several times and was convinced it was well out of calibration again - SURELY I was surring faster than what it read.  SURELY!
 
Throughout the run I fought hard on all the uphills and picked it up on the downhills.  I was getting pretty sore about halfway through the 5 miles.  I pressed my iPod again to get my pace - 10:00/mile.  DAMN CALLIBRATION!
 
I finished at 46 minutes for a purported 4.6 miles.  SURELY that was wrong.
 
I checked on Google Maps and to my surprise the run was only 4.78 miles.  Somehow I got totally exhausted from only running 5 miles at a pace that was a full minute slower than my recent 10 mile race.  This running stuff is amazing.  The day to day flux makes to no sense.

3 comments:

The Laminator said...

Dude, don't try to overthink it. Let it be. There'll be good days, and there'll be bad days. At least you got out there which is most important. Keep at it!

Irene said...

It's funny how that happens. Some runs are just dogs, but you just keep at it!

Happy running!

Matt Jacques said...

Hmm, I haven't run much at night, but I from what I've heard it *feels* much faster. This could be due to the excitement/risk of it - we get twitchy and need to pay attention to every little light and noise so much more than during the day. Just a hunch... at night time we're running different software on the calibrator between our ears!

Matt
www.majarun.wordpress.com
(sorry for the delete above!)