Life, Running, & Medicine.
Notes on life as I see it.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Head Above Water

Wow the last few weeks have been a blur.  I'm barely able to find time to eat much less run.  I have managed to only run about 5 miles a week since mid november.  My schedule has been killer (granted not all work, some play, but still killer).

The last five days:

Wednesday I got in at the typical 5:45am, rounded on patients and spent the rest of the day in the operating room.  Around 3pm a friend called - an extra club level ticket to that night's hockey game - I accepted, forgetting I had about 200 pages of reading to do by thursday morning.  Got home at 11pm, read till 1:30am.

Thursday woke up around 5:15am and headed to work.  Did rounds, operating room, etc until around 8pm when finally made it home.  Was on call.  Got the obligatory call in around 10:30pm ("I'm sure this will be fast").  Yeah right, little kiddo had to go to OR for large parapharyngeal abscess that was obstructing breathing.  Got home at 2:15am.  Called back to another hospital at 3:00am for some total BS that I wound up yelling at them about.  Slept on the lounge couch 4-5am when I awoke and started Friday.

Friday was a full day.  I did manage to scrub out for 45 minutes for a nap.  Was at work until 7:30pm, picked up pizza on the way home.  Planning to go to bed when I got a call around 8:30 that our med student welcome party at a local bar was poorly attended.  So I left and went out to the bar until midnight.

Saturday got up at 7am because I was volunteered to entertain the med students during their interview and tour day.  At the hospital until 2:00pm.  Then headed home and took a 3 hour nap.  Saturday night had a dinner party with my wife's friends that kept us out until 1am.

Sunday morning up by 7:30 for a 9:15 tee-time with friends.  Played 18 holes, shot > 100 but was fun.  Worked on house chores that afterrnoon, finally got in a 5 mile run with the neighbor.

The week started again this morning with a 5:00 wakeup, home by 8pm tonight.  On call of course tonight then wednesday.

Light at the end is that vacation starts this Friday.

1 comment:

The Laminator said...

Wow...that is a crazy schedule. No wonder you can't find time to do any running. Had similar experience during parts of my peds residency. Nothing but work, eat, sleep for a month straight. Brutal. Sounds like at least you're having some fun though. Keep the faith. Light at end of tunnel fast approaching...