Life, Running, & Medicine.
Notes on life as I see it.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

10 miles on the 'mill with a negative split

Wow today I put in a 10 miler on the treadmill!  Was a beautiful day outside but being on call makes it hard to run outdoors (although as my wife tells me I could just do a "lot of small laps" around the house).  I decided to do a long run on the treadmill at the hospital.
 
All said I ran 10.12 miles in 89:08 (8:47 pace) at a 0.2 incline.  Not bad pace.  Ran the first 5 miles at 9:11 pace, the second 5 miles at 8:24 pace.  After the first three miles I thought I would die of boredom, as always when I run on a treadmill.  I watched the same Headline News cast repeat 3 1/2 times.
 
I usually put the incline up to at least 1.0 but unfortunately the machine in front of the TV had the incline broken.
 
I also figured out how I can log these treadmill & elliptical runs on MotionBased: I just record a very short "workout", a few seconds or whatever, then upload that as a workout to MB.  The data fields for distance and time are not changeable but I just indicate the real workout info in the workout "name" or comments area.  Of course this method is pretty featureless but its something.
 
As a cool down I tried on of those Gatorade G2 drinks - the "diet" energy drink.  It has far less sugar but supposedly the same electrolytes as regular Gatorade.  I got it on promo for 3 for $2 at Kroger.  I must say it sounds like a good idea for a post-workout drink; I've always wondered why pumping yourself with extra sugar calories at the end of a workout is a good idea.  Anyway, the lowdown is it fairly tasty but does have a bit more salty or acidic taste than a full-sugar drink.  I think I will continue to buy these (or the Powerade version) in the future.
 
 

No comments: