Life, Running, & Medicine.
Notes on life as I see it.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Threemilers and bird watching

I know many of my readers might find these topics equally exciting.  The weather and certain extracurricular obligations have kept me from putting in more miles this week.  I did another "quick" three miles on the road last night, trying to get a start-finished-showered-and-ready-to-go-to-dinner time under 40 minutes.  I did make it.  It's still amazing to me how I can go out and run 8 miles at a 10 minute pace and feel great but doing 3 miles at an 8:45 pace is killer (granted its hills).  I guess there's something to this interval training thing I need to be doing more of.
 
In other news the past few weeks have brought much avian attention to my birdfeeder.  I put up a nice birdfeeder last year behind my house.  Seems like the first few months it was slow to catch on with the birds.  Now, however, they will go through a pound of food in 2 days (black oil sunflower).  I had to buy a 40-lb bag.  Every week there is the cycle of it being empty, me filling it, no activty for about 2 days then BAM an assault and its gone over about 3 days time, then it usually sits empty 2-3 days before I refill it.  This morning was the first time I saw a bird fly up to it to eat right as I was walking away from filling it.  I guess they are getting used to me.  BTW I have yet to see a squirrel in it, so I think its all birds.  Also BTW I am not a bird freak or anything, just thought it added to the landscape, kinda like watching a fish tank.

1 comment:

kara said...

My feeder is also busy. I have to tend with the squirrels. But hey they get hungry too.
I return from my run - stretch and then refill the feeder. Everyday