Life, Running, & Medicine.
Notes on life as I see it.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Chicago Marathon Registration Open

The Chicago Marathon is back with a new namesake sponser - Bank Of America.  Registration opened Feb 1 for the nation's most popular beginning marathoner's marathon.  Price is a steep $110 but the loot includes a technical running shirt, I'm sure a goodie bag, and a ChampionChip to borrow.
 
I don't know what the demand is exactly, but it its only open to the first 45,000 registrants - I'm pretty sure they fill up every year.  I just registered minutes ago.  In case you want to find me, I'll be in the "Hopefully 4:30" pace group.  :)
 
It will be my first marathon.  My first half marathon is coming up in March (The ING Georgia).  Right now I'm up to long runs of about 8 miles, but I feel like that can be bumped up to 10 or 11 whenever time allows.  I should be in the position to run a 12 or 13 miler BEFORE the ING Half Marathon March 30.  Then my hope is a slow build up to around 22 miles before Chicago - so the marathon will have about 4 miles of "uncharted territory" as far as my running expectations.  I am not doing a plan really.  I've found I have too unreliable a schedule; often going a week or two without being able to run.  So far the slow and steady has worked without injury.
 
Hope to see you there!  Get your registrations in early!

1 comment:

Jim said...

I just registered over the weekend, and posted about it yesterday. I trained for it and ran it last year, at least until they closed the course. So I'm looking forward to actually finishing this year!

Jim